On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Ivan wrote:

I was always thinking that shall we have a better way to handle all the available setting provided by the third-party modules? As we all know, usually, all the GBeans only delegate those important and popular settings, it is impossible for us to allow all the configurations could be done via GBean. Let us take Tomcat as an example, maybe we shall give an interface to set those configurations that we do not provide now.

I think we could expose all the knobs on tomcat components in our gbeans but it might not be the most usable approach. Basically the problem is that we have two component containers -- tomcat and geronimo -- both of which insist on creating all the components themselves. While I tend to think that the main problem is that tomcat mixes the lifecycle and runtime code to intimately the only realistic way to get farther than we have now is to change geronimo so the components don't have to be created directly by the gbean infrastructure.

david jencks