On Feb 1, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Changdeok Kang wrote:

I was just observing OS process memory usage by "top".

Actually the next-day, the memory usage scores initial value.

I think that the garbage collection is not executed at once. Am I right?

Garbage collection is an asynchronous process and it's behavior is configurable and implementation dependent. However, in general, unreferenced objects will be garbage collected pretty quickly (seconds to minutes).

Additionally, how can I check the java heap memory status on linux?

There a number of options. I usually just turn on verbosegc (e.g. export JAVA_OPTS="-verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails"), you can also monitor using JMX or the Geronimo admin console.

--kevan