On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

I've created a custom server assembly and reduced a server to Boilerplate
Minimal and OpenEJB. This works, the server comes up (see below).

But, can the server be started without the open ports? I only need the
server listen on a resource adapter, trigger an MDB and delegate to an EJB.
No need for remote access, derby, Active MQ or OpenEJB Daemon.

Can that be done?

There are several bits here and I don't know why some of the dependencies are present so you will have to do some experimentation to find out what happens.

Do you really need to close the jndi and jmx ports? You wont be able to add/remove plugins or shut down the server via a command if you close these.

system-database is an openejb dependency, I don't know why. If you have another database you can presumably use an artifact-alias to substitute a dependency on your db pool plugin. It would be great if we could just remove this dependency from the openejb plugin, it seems philosophically very wrong.

Similarly the activemq-broker dependency is IMO completely misguided. I think it is supposed to be an activemq-ra dependency since there should be no need to actually have a running broker in your geronimo server. Since you say you need mdbs I think you should be able to use an artifact alias to substitute your inbound connector for this dependency.

If you could tell us the results of investigating these changes we might be able to improve the situation for 2.1.4 and 2.2.

Finally the openejb daemon port can be turned off by turning off the EJBNetworkService. You can either manually modify the config.xml or use a feature that I fear is undocumented while constructing your custom server:

in your assembly project,  include a file

src/main/resources/var/config/overrides/server-overrides.xml

that looks something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
    the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

    limitations under the License.
-->

<!-- $Rev: 2566 $ $Date: 2008-05-15 10:28:53 -0700 (Thu, 15 May 2008) $ -->

<attributes xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/attributes-1.2";>

<module name="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-security/$ {geronimoVersion}/car">
        <gbean name="SecurityService" load="false"/>
    </module>

<module name="org.apache.geronimo.framework/server-security- config/${geronimoVersion}/car" load="false"/> <module name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-ra/$ {geronimoVersion}/car" load="false"/>

<module name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-corba-yoko/$ {geronimoVersion}/car">
        <gbean name="CORBASSLConfig">
            <attribute name="keyStore">clientcert.jks</attribute>
            <attribute name="keyAlias">cts</attribute>
            <attribute name="trustStore">ssl-truststore</attribute>
            <attribute name="protocol">SSL</attribute>
        </gbean>

        <gbean name="NameServer">
            <attribute name="port">${orbDefaultPort}</attribute>
        </gbean>

        <gbean name="Server">
            <attribute name="port">6684</attribute>
            <attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
        </gbean>
    </module>
</attributes>

This will get merged into the constructed config.xml. You can turn off modules (should be unnecessary -- don't install them :-) ) or individual gbeans or use different attribute or reference values.

hope this helps

Juergen

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.6.0_11)...
Starting Geronimo Application Server v2.1.3
 Listening on Ports:
   1399 0.0.0.0   RMI Naming
   1827 127.0.0.1 Derby Connector
   4501 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB Daemon
  10299 127.0.0.1 JMX Remoting Connector
  61913 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector
  61916 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Transport Connector

 Started Application Modules:
   RAR: org.apache.geronimo.configs/system-database/2.1.3/car