I posted this problem on openjpa forum: Please see this thread at:

http://n2.nabble.com/Problem-with-multi-persistence-units-td2303818.html#a2304438

One of OpenJPA developer replied to my post and pointed out some problem
that may be caused by how geronimo configures openjpa. I copied his reply
here and hope someone from geronimo developers can comment

Hi,
It looks like Geronimo might be passing in some extra properties to
OpenJPA???  In the trace, there are two openjpa properties that are
suspect.  You don't have them in your persistence.xml.  And, if you are not
passing them in as system properties, then my next guess is Geronimo.  The
two properties that seem to be causing your situation are these:

openjpa.MetaDataFactory:
jpa(Files=/usr/local/geronimo-
tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3/repository/default/callingcard-ear/1.0/callingcard-ear-1.0.car/callingcard-ejb.jar)

openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings: buildSchema(ForeignKeys=true)

The first one (MetaDataFactory) specifies which persistence types to
process.  Since a jar file is specified, we will search the jar file for any
persistence types (regardless of whether they are listed in a
persistence.xml file or not).  Our documentation explains this a bit more
[1].

The next property (SynchronizeMappings) is what I was referring to in
earlier e-mails.  This is the property that tells OpenJPA to please create
the tables if they do not exist.

You can see in the trace that DigitalkUser and DigitalkAccount are being
processed since they exist in the jar file specified in the MetaDataFactory
property:

124910  CallingCardUsersUnit  TRACE  [ejbd 1] openjpa.MetaData - Scan of
"/usr/local/geronimo-tomcat6-
javaee5-2.1.3/repository/default/callingcard-ear/1.0/callingcard-ear-1.0.car/callingcard-ejb.jar"

found persistent types
[com.nuvoip.services.ipcalls.model.entity.subscribers.DigitalkAccount].

Bottom line, you need to determine how those properties are being passed
into OpenJPA.  We're just doing what's being requested...  :-)

Good luck,
Kevin

[1]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/latest/docs/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_meta_factory