On Mar 4, 2009, at 12:02 PM, PeterE59 wrote:

Hi,

i have a basic problem. I am a newbie to geronimo.

Geronimo is running:
Version         2.1.3
Build   2008.09.10-10:18:40.636-0400
Java Version    1.5.0_17
Java Vendor     Sun Microsystems Inc.
Architecture    i386
Name    Linux
Version         2.6.9-023stab048.6-smp

I try to deploy a very simple web application to check my installation:

HelloWorld\HelloWorld.jsp
               \WEB-INF\web.xml
                             \geronimo-web-xml

You want geronimo-web.xml to be in WEB-INF\

HelloWorld.jsp:
<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
   pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1"%>
<head>
<title>HelloWorld!</title>
</head>
    <h1>

                Hello world from GERONIMO V1.1!

      </h1>
          ${datetime}
web.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app version="2.4"
  xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
  http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";>
   <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>HelloWorld.jsp</welcome-file>
   </welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

Note that the above welcome-file in web.xml does not match your HelloWorld/HelloWorld.jsp location. Updating to 'HelloWorld/ HelloWorld.jsp' is probably what you want. In this case, the 'HelloWorld' url should work. Without this update, you'd need 'HelloWorld/HelloWorld' to reach your jsp.

If you fix geronimo-web.xml, your url would become 'hello' since geronimo-web.xml is setting the context-root

geronimo-web.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-1.1";>
<environment xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1 ">
   <moduleId>
     <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
     <artifactId>HelloWorld</artifactId>
     <version>1.1</version>
     <type>war</type>
   </moduleId>
 </environment>
 <context-root>/hello</context-root>
</web-app>

See above about insuring geronimo-web.xml is in WEB-INF/ and note the change of behavior caused by context-root.

I build a jar file with:
jar cvf HelloWorld.jar HelloWorld

Hot deploy:
cp HelloWorld.jar $GERONIMO_HOME/deploy

Messages in geronimo.out:
17:34:58,001 WARN [TomcatModuleBuilder] Web application . does not contain
a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may not be a
problem, depending on whether you have things like resource references that need to be resolved. You can also give the deployer a separate deployment
plan file on the command line.

This message tells us that geronimo did not locate your geronimo- web.xml file.

Hope that helps.

--kevan