On Mar 13, 2009, at 6:28 AM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

I'm trying to deploy a Spring context as a custom resource adapter using
Spring's
http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/api/org/springframework/jca/context/SpringContextResourceAdapter.html
SpringContextResourceAdapter . From inside the deployed Spring context, I'm
trying to access a JMS queue using

<jee:jndi-lookup id="myQueue" jndi-name="jms/MyQueue"/>,

i.e. using Spring's JNDI support.

This however fails with a message to the effect (I'm currently at work and may provide more detailed information later) that I'm trying to access the JNDI context from a thread that hasn't yet initialized it. This message is
wrapped in an NPE thrown when

RootContext.getContext()

returns null.

Could anyone in the know tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'd guess that for reasons of its own spring is looking up something in the java:comp jndi context. This is not defined nor guaranteed to be available in a resource adapter. If you call the resource adapter from a thread that has gone through a javaEE component, in geronimo you will get the java:comp context of that component.

If you really need to package your code as a resource adapter you probably need to use the global jndi context. See http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/jndi.html (I can't find this in the 2.2 docs) I don't know how you would get spring to look here.

However, I can't imagine a scenario in which packaging your code as a resource adapter makes any sense. In all the scenarios I can imagine you would get much better results using SSB ejbs. Generally you only want to write a resource adapter if your code is actually connecting to a remote resource manager. Since you are trying to look up a jms queue from another resource adapter it seems that at least much of your code is not doing this.

Thx,
Olaf