On Mar 18, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

I have several ejb-jar packaged inside an ear. Libraries to be shared between some or all of these ejb-jars are placed inside the encompassing ear's "lib" directory, as decreed by the standard. Some libraries, however, are local to
the using ejb-jar, i.e. they don't need to be shared.

I tried to package these libraries inside the using ejb-jar, creating
appropriate Class-Path entries in that ejb-jar's manifest file. This,
however, leads to a deployment error as obviously the Class-Path entries in the ejb-jar's manifest file are resolved relative to the enclosing ear and
are therefore not found.

Suggestion: make Geronimo resolve those dependencies relative to the ejb-jar
declaring them. Same goes for rars.

What do you think?

rars already have a nested structure, anything inside has to be in a jar. Or are you suggesting we support infinitely nested jars?

In geronimo everything in all the ejb jars and rars ends up in the same classloader so you won't get any difference in behavior by doing this.

I'm generally against these nested packagings. I think they were dreamed up in the dark ages before people realized that their software was part of the worldwide software ecosystem and that you need to document explicitly how your software relates to other stuff. This is the kind of problem maven tries to solve. People who still use ant IMO still haven't recognized that this is something they can think about.

So, in geronimo I recommend packing as little as possible in an ear, instead using dependencies to include the same jars from the geronimo repo into the appropriate classloaders.

Cheers,
Olaf