I have successfully run this example using Eclipse 3.4.1 and Geronimo 2.1.3,
and only the CalcServlet  code was a bit differnent:

@EJB(name = "ejb/CalculatorRemote")
    private CalculatorRemote  calculator;

And I didn't package EJB and Web as a EAR, but added the EJB project to the
build path of Web project, and use "Add and Remove Projects" in Eclipse
plugin.

Hope this page gives you some hint:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/web-application-for-ejb-access.html

Best  Regards,