I'm trying to do the same thing, but so far my application didn't have a
deployment plan yet. Now I'm trying to add one, so I can add the GBean, but
it's still not logging the way I want to. Any idea what I might be doing
wrong? (I have of course put the properties file in the specified
directory.)

<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1";
xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2";
xmlns:name="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2";
xmlns:app="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/application-2.0";
xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0";
xmlns:pers="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence";>
<context-root>Lunaboek</context-root>

<gbean name="DirectoryLog4jConfiguration"
class="org.apache.geronimo.system.logging.log4j.ApplicationLog4jConfigurationGBean">
<attribute name="log4jFile">var/lunaboek/log4j.properties</attribute>
</gbean>
</web-app>