On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:05 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

Hi,

got a new 2.2 snapshot. How would I best get my current installation into
the new snapshot?

deploy/new-instance only creates a new server into the current installation,
does it?
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/geronimo-gshell-commands.html#GeronimoGShellCommands-Creatinganewinstance

What I'd need is to export all installed applications + plans (database pools) into a zip and import the zip into the new server installation. This would also be useful for backing up or moving a server to another machine.

that won't really work.

There have been a lot of gbean structure changes recently and definitely since 2.1.x so you will almost certainly need to redeploy your apps.

I strongly recommend that you use maven to build your applications (and db pools etc) into plugins and then assemble a custom server including them (again using maven) This gives you a reproducible process in version control that generates the server you want with the apps you need in it.

One possible problem is that until very recently if you used the console to deploy something such as a db pool geronimo didn't save the plan for you. However, you'd still have to come up with the plan somehow since you probably need to redeploy.

Hope this helps

Juergen