Hi Jay,

thanks a lot for reproducing the described behaviour/failure and adding the
JIRA entry.

I will describe the behaviour I've expected:

- undeploying the ejb will destroy associated timers (timer without callback
makes not sense),
but
- redeploying (e.g. after a little bug fix) should maintain timers (this
means redeploy is different from undeploy + deploy)

- shutting down/crashing app server should never destory pending timers (see
your JIRA issue)

This is how we use timers:

We are using Timer Service to delete data from a database after a specified
period of time (we have to hold them e.g. for at least 24h).
We have and we don't wanna have cyclic processes for polling database
tables, etc.

If an entry was marked for deletion, we establish a new timer (e.g. now +
24h), which will delete this entry (and all related entries....) .

Currently we loose timers if geronimo restart or the application/ejb is
redeployed (which happens frequently during application tests).
As an result, the database entries will never be deleted automatically.

As a workaround we can establish all the timers on the application startup
by scanning the database for marked entries.

Maybe we are using Timer Service in a way it was never supposed to be ?

Is there another mechanism for delayed processing of data within EJB (e.g
JMS with delayed delivery) ?

Thanks a lot for your help and assistance,

Norbert