Hello,

I have a problem with the MySQL 3.1.12 connector.  I occasionally get
"broken pipe" exceptions, and have to reset the J2EE connector to resolve
it.

I see that I can set a "autoReconnect" parameter in the JDBC URL to resolve
this.

1.  Since the db pool wizard doesn't offer anything for parameters, can I
add an "autoReconnect" element to the deployment plan and deploy it that
way?

2.  From the MySQL documentation:
autoReconnect - Should the driver try to re-establish stale and/or dead
connections? If enabled the driver will throw an exception for a queries
issued on a stale or dead connection, which belong to the current
transaction, but will attempt reconnect before the next query issued on the
connection in a new transaction. The use of this feature is not recommended,
because it has side effects related to session state and data consistency
when applications don't handle SQLExceptions properly, and is only designed
to be used when you are unable to configure your application to handle
SQLExceptions resulting from dead and stale connections properly.
Alternatively, investigate setting the MySQL server variable "wait_timeout"
to some high value rather than the default of 8 hours.

I imagine there is no graceful way to handle this in our applications, and
resetting the DB pool/connector is the only way to resolve it right now, so
although they advise against it, #1 is the way to handle it, and not #2.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

The connections occasionally break, and the solution I see in MySQL forums
is to add a parameter to the JDBC URL:
jdbc:mysql://(host):(port)/(db_name)?autoReconnect=true

The problem is, in the Geronimo DB pool wizard (2.1.4), there is no way to
set the URL.

Can I modify the wizard's deployment plan and add in an element to handle
this?

Thanks,

Eric