I finally succededed in getting true from the isUserInRole() call, protecting
more resources in the web.xml file.
I have to check the whole application to see if the unauthenticated section
still works (some of the  resources i have put in the protected area are
used by both parts).
I'll keep you informed of the results.

Fabrice