Try as I might I cannot get the 'Using JRE_HOME :' line on startup to report
anything other than a blank, regardless if it is unset or explicitly set.
Following the above instructions reports both versions correctly (although
mine are '1.6.0_15') but unsetting JRE_HOME and trying again results in a
blank Using JRE_HOME line and the same failure

However if this missing JRE_HOME is indicating the root of the problem it
gives me something to go on more than before so I can investigate further,
so thanks for that