if your project is a war do not use the manifest class-path, just get your
utility jar into WEB-INF/lib

if its an ear, still don't use the manifest class-path but put it in lib/ in
the ear (this is an javaee 5 feature that works better than manifest class-path)

Or use a geronimo plan, install the jar in the geronimo repository, and have a
geronimo dependency from the ee project to the utility jar.  This will result
in the utility jar being loaded in a single separate classloader so the jar is
shared across all uses.  The first two choices well give you a separate copy
per war or ear.

david jencks