GEP 2.2 supports geronimo server 2.1.6, and will be upgraded to server 2.1.7
in GEP 2.2.1 release.

The source codes ( 2.1.7 server upgrade code is in ) are in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/devtools/eclipse-plugin/branches/2.2
now.
You can try to build it and have a try if it solves your deployment problem.
Or you can wait some days until GEP 221 release goes live.