Do you have the <extensions> element in one of your elements regarding the
car-maven-plugin?

                <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport</groupId>
                    <artifactId>car-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>${project.version}</version>
                    <extensions>true</extensions>
                </plugin>

is in the root pluginManagement geronimo pom.

david jencks