My understanding of ldap is kinda limited but I think that you are asking to
authenticate all your users under ou=people but that you want to assign
permissions only to the CLINICS group.

If you want to only authenticate people in the clinics group you need a query
that will only return those people.  I'm not sure how to construct such an ldap
query.

hope this makes sense

david jencks