On Apr 28, 2013, at 9:37 AM, Philippe Marschall <kus...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 27.04.2013 22:22, David Blevins wrote:

>>> Ah, very cool thanks. So it's essentially the same as TomEE since they both
>>> use OpenEJB?
>>>
>>> I had a look at the manifest and unlike the POM it seems to additionally
>>> depend on org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-osgi-locator  and
>>> org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-osgi-registry. Do they somehow help with
>>> using the client in OSGi (outside of Geronimo) or should I still just set
>>> up the TCCL?
>>
>> No need to pull those in if you do not want to.
>
> The respective Import-Package headers in the manifest don't have
> resolution:=optional so it has to be present when running in OSGi.

Ah.  Had assumed you were implying you weren't using OSGi and wanted to know if
they were not needed in those scenarios.  Right, the OSGi case is documented in
the manifest.

The locator and registry allow things like
META-INF/javax.ejb.embeddable.EJBContainer and other similar
java.util.ServiceLoader lookups to work in OSGi-land.  Many of the spec jars
use these to find the respective impls, which are in different bundles.

So, yes, needed for OSGi clients.  Not needed for plain Java SE clients.

-David