Hi,

There are several methods in Vertex/BasicVertex that are declared as abstract
but without any access modifier specified.  They are:

    abstract void putMessages(Iterable<M> messages);
    abstract void releaseResources();

This has the effect that they both have the access modifier package-private.
The effect of this is that only classes in the giraph package that extend
Vertex can override the method.  Specifically, any Vertex implementation not in
the giraph package cannot override these methods.

Is this the intended behavior?  I think an easy fix would to be to explicitly
declare them as protected, which would allow classes outside of the package to
override these methods.

I've looked into using several of the other predefined vertex types
(EdgeListVertex, HashMapVertex, etc), which override these methods. However, in
these classes the write and readFields methods are declared final, limiting the
amount of customization one can make to these classes.

If you have any alternative suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Nick West

Benchmark Solutions
101 Park Avenue - 7th Floor
New York, NY 10178
Tel +1.212.220.4739 | Mobile +1.646.267.4324
www.benchmarksolutions.com <http://www.benchmarksolutions.com/>
[cid:image001.png@01CCA50E.43B4A860]

<<inline: image001.png>>