Hi Eli,
mine was just at an attempt pre-GIRAPH-249 (and my attempt was not
successful because I had problems sub-classing MutableVertex at the
time, if I remember correctly. I think I shared some of my issues at
the time...). Anyway, now that GIRAPH-249 is closed, the need for that
is less or gone. I just need some time to look at Giraph source code
now and test/use what you did for GIRAPH-249. Giraph is making such
good progress and I still need to catch up. :-)

If/when I do that and I see any valuable (i.e. faster) alternative,
I'll share it here or implement an example and share the code on
GitHub.

Cheers,
Paolo