Thanks for the reply, Sebastian.

The problem I'm working on is a routing algorithm for a country wide
railway network. I was thinking about two ways to approach it.

1. Pre calculate the routes. I understand that this is quadratic, but I was
thinking of using some optimizations to limit the calculations. Like
restrict the number of hops from the source node, only calculate the route
to the nearest hub and not every other node, etc.

2. Use Giraph as a real time query engine - The graph is loaded into the
memory of a cluster of nodes, and given the source and destination nodes of
a query, a single source shortest path algorithm is run.

For both these cases, I thought it would be useful have the vertices always
in memory, and only repeat the process from superstep 0 as needed. For
example, every time we have a new query, or every time we need to calculate
a route from a source to a new destination.