Ok, so I added the partitions flag, going with

 hadoop jar target/giraph-0.1-jar-with-dependencies.jar
org.apache.giraph.examples.SimpleShortestPathsVertex
-Dgiraph.SplitMasterWorker=false -Dgiraph.numComputeThreads=12
-Dhash.userPartitionCount=12 input output 12 1

but still I got no overall speedup at all (compared to using 1 thread) and
only 1 out of 12 cores is utilized at most times. Isn't Giraph supposed to
exploit parallelism to get some speedup? Any other suggestion?

Thanks,
Alexandros