Ok great, thanks. I've been working with 0.1, I can get things to
compile (see below code) but they still are not running, the maps hang
(also below). I have no idea how to fix it, I may consider updating
that code I have that compiles to 0.2 and see if it works then. The
only difference I can see is that 0.2 requires everything have a
"message"

-bash-3.2$ hadoop jar target/giraph-0.1-jar-with-dependencies.jar
com.SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights /user/rfcompton/giraphTSPInput
/user/rfcompton/giraphTSPOutput 3 3
13/02/04 15:48:23 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job: job_201301230932_1199
13/02/04 15:48:24 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 0% reduce 0%
13/02/04 15:48:35 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 25% reduce 0%
13/02/04 15:58:40 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id :
attempt_201301230932_1199_m_000003_0, Status : FAILED
java.lang.IllegalStateException: run: Caught an unrecoverable
exception setup: Offlining servers due to exception...
at org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.run(GraphMapper.java:641)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(MapTask.java:647)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1157)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: setup: Offlining servers due to
exception...
at org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.setup(GraphMapper.java:466)
at org.apache.giraph.graph.GraphMapper.run(GraphMapper.java:630)
... 7 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: setup: loadVertices failed
at org.apache.giraph.graph.BspServiceWorker.setup(BspServiceWorker.java:582)
at org.apache.
Task attempt_201301230932_1199_m_000003_0 failed to report status for
600 seconds. Killing!
13/02/04 15:58:43 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id :
attempt_201301230932_1199_m_000002_0, Status : FAILED
Task attempt_201301230932_1199_m_000002_0 failed to report status for
600 seconds. Killing!
13/02/04 15:58:43 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id :
attempt_201301230932_1199_m_000000_0, Status : FAILED

This is the code I was using:

import com.google.common.base.Preconditions;
import com.google.common.collect.Maps;

import org.apache.giraph.comm.ArrayListWritable;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.BasicVertex;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.BspUtils;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.GiraphJob;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.EdgeListVertex;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.VertexReader;
import org.apache.giraph.graph.VertexWriter;
import org.apache.giraph.lib.TextVertexInputFormat;
import org.apache.giraph.lib.TextVertexInputFormat.TextVertexReader;
import org.apache.giraph.lib.TextVertexOutputFormat;
import org.apache.giraph.lib.TextVertexOutputFormat.TextVertexWriter;
import org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.DoubleWritable;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.FloatWritable;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.IntWritable;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.LongWritable;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.Text;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.InputSplit;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.RecordReader;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.RecordWriter;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.TaskAttemptContext;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.FileInputFormat;
import org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.output.FileOutputFormat;
import org.apache.hadoop.util.Tool;
import org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner;
import org.apache.log4j.Logger;
import org.json.JSONArray;
import org.json.JSONException;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Iterator;
import java.util.Map;
import java.util.StringTokenizer;

/**
 * Shows an example of a brute-force implementation of the Travelling
Salesman Problem
 */
public class SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights extends
EdgeListVertex<LongWritable, ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>,
FloatWritable, ArrayListWritable<Text>> implements Tool {
    /** Configuration */
    private Configuration conf;
    /** Class logger */
    private static final Logger LOG =
        Logger.getLogger(SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights.class);
    /** The shortest paths id */
    public static String SOURCE_ID = "SimpleShortestPathsVertex.sourceId";
    /** Default shortest paths id */
    public static long SOURCE_ID_DEFAULT = 1;

    /**
     * Is this vertex the source id?
     *
     * @return True if the source id
     */
    private boolean isSource() {
        return (getVertexId().get() ==
            getContext().getConfiguration().getLong(SOURCE_ID,
                                                    SOURCE_ID_DEFAULT));
    }
    public class Message extends ArrayListWritable<Text> {
    public Message() {
      super();
    }

@Override
public void setClass() {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
}
  }
    public class Valeur extends ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable> {
    public Valeur() {
      super();
    }

  @Override
  public void setClass() {
  // TODO Auto-generated method stub

  }
  }

    @Override
    public void compute(Iterator<ArrayListWritable<Text>> msgIterator) {
    System.out.println("****     LAUNCHING COMPUTATION FOR VERTEX
"+this.getVertexId().get()+", SUPERSTEP "+this.getSuperstep()+"
****");
    //We get the source ID, we will need it
    String sourceID = new
LongWritable(this.getContext().getConfiguration().getLong(SOURCE_ID,
                SOURCE_ID_DEFAULT)).toString();
    //We get the total number of verticles, and the current superstep
number, we will need it too
        int J=1;

        voteToHalt();
    }

    /**
     * VertexInputFormat that supports {@link SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights}
     */
    public static class SimpleShortestPathsVertexInputFormat extends
TextVertexInputFormat<LongWritable, ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>,
                                  FloatWritable,
                                  DoubleWritable> {
        @Override
        public VertexReader<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable, DoubleWritable>
                createVertexReader(InputSplit split,
                                   TaskAttemptContext context)
                                   throws IOException {
            return new SimpleShortestPathsVertexReader(
                textInputFormat.createRecordReader(split, context));
        }
    }

    /**
     * VertexReader that supports {@link SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights}.  In this
     * case, the edge values are not used.  The files should be in the
     * following JSON format:
     * JSONArray(<vertex id>, <vertex value>,
     *           JSONArray(JSONArray(<dest vertex id>, <edge value>), ...))
     * Here is an example with vertex id 1, vertex value 4.3, and two edges.
     * First edge has a destination vertex 2, edge value 2.1.
     * Second edge has a destination vertex 3, edge value 0.7.
     * [1,4.3,[[2,2.1],[3,0.7]]]
     */
    public static class SimpleShortestPathsVertexReader extends
            TextVertexReader<LongWritable,
            ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable, DoubleWritable> {

        public SimpleShortestPathsVertexReader(
                RecordReader<LongWritable, Text> lineRecordReader) {
            super(lineRecordReader);
        }

        public class Valeur extends ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable> {
          public Valeur() {
            super();
          }

      @Override
      public void setClass() {
      // TODO Auto-generated method stub

      }
        }

        @Override
        public BasicVertex<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable,
                           DoubleWritable> getCurrentVertex()
          BasicVertex<LongWritable, ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>,
FloatWritable,
              DoubleWritable> vertex = BspUtils.<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable,
                  DoubleWritable>createVertex(getContext().getConfiguration());

            Text line = getRecordReader().getCurrentValue();
            try {
                JSONArray jsonVertex = new JSONArray(line.toString());
                LongWritable vertexId = new LongWritable(jsonVertex.getLong(0));
               Valeur vertexValue = new Valeur();
               vertexValue.add(new DoubleWritable(jsonVertex.getDouble(1)));
                Map<LongWritable, FloatWritable> edges = Maps.newHashMap();
                JSONArray jsonEdgeArray = jsonVertex.getJSONArray(2);
                for (int i = 0; i < jsonEdgeArray.length(); ++i) {
                    JSONArray jsonEdge = jsonEdgeArray.getJSONArray(i);
                    edges.put(new LongWritable(jsonEdge.getLong(0)),
                            new FloatWritable((float) jsonEdge.getDouble(1)));
                }
                vertex.initialize(vertexId, vertexValue, edges, null);
            } catch (JSONException e) {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                    "next: Couldn't get vertex from line " +
line.toString(), e);
            }
            return vertex;
        }

        @Override
        public boolean nextVertex() throws IOException, InterruptedException {
            return getRecordReader().nextKeyValue();
        }
    }

    /**
     * VertexOutputFormat that supports {@link SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights}
     */
    public static class SimpleShortestPathsVertexOutputFormat extends
            TextVertexOutputFormat<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>,
            FloatWritable> {

        @Override
        public VertexWriter<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable>
                createVertexWriter(TaskAttemptContext context)
            RecordWriter<Text, Text> recordWriter =
                textOutputFormat.getRecordWriter(context);
            return new SimpleShortestPathsVertexWriter(recordWriter);
        }
    }

    /**
     * VertexWriter that supports {@link SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights}
     */
    public static class SimpleShortestPathsVertexWriter extends
            TextVertexWriter<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>, FloatWritable> {
        public SimpleShortestPathsVertexWriter(
                RecordWriter<Text, Text> lineRecordWriter) {
            super(lineRecordWriter);
        }

        @Override
        public void writeVertex(BasicVertex<LongWritable,
ArrayListWritable<DoubleWritable>,
                                FloatWritable, ?> vertex)
        String sourceID = new
LongWritable(vertex.getContext().getConfiguration().getLong(SOURCE_ID,
                    SOURCE_ID_DEFAULT)).toString();
        JSONArray jsonVertex = new JSONArray();
            try {
                jsonVertex.put(vertex.getVertexId().get());
                jsonVertex.put(vertex.getVertexValue().toString());
                JSONArray jsonEdgeArray = new JSONArray();
                for (LongWritable targetVertexId : vertex) {
                    JSONArray jsonEdge = new JSONArray();
                    jsonEdge.put(targetVertexId.get());
                    jsonEdge.put(vertex.getEdgeValue(targetVertexId).get());
                    jsonEdgeArray.put(jsonEdge);
                }
                jsonVertex.put(jsonEdgeArray);
            } catch (JSONException e) {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                    "writeVertex: Couldn't write vertex " + vertex);
            }
            getRecordWriter().write(new Text(jsonVertex.toString()), null);
        }
    }

    @Override
    public Configuration getConf() {
        return conf;
    }

    @Override
    public void setConf(Configuration conf) {
        this.conf = conf;
    }

    @Override
    public int run(String[] argArray) throws Exception {
        Preconditions.checkArgument(argArray.length == 4,
            "run: Must have 4 arguments <input path> <output path> " +
            "<source vertex id> <# of workers>");

        GiraphJob job = new GiraphJob(getConf(), getClass().getName());
        job.setVertexClass(getClass());
        job.setVertexInputFormatClass(
            SimpleShortestPathsVertexInputFormat.class);
        job.setVertexOutputFormatClass(
            SimpleShortestPathsVertexOutputFormat.class);
        FileInputFormat.addInputPath(job, new Path(argArray[0]));
        FileOutputFormat.setOutputPath(job, new Path(argArray[1]));
        job.getConfiguration().setLong(SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights.SOURCE_ID,
                                       Long.parseLong(argArray[2]));
        job.setWorkerConfiguration(Integer.parseInt(argArray[3]),
                                   Integer.parseInt(argArray[3]),
                                   100.0f);

        return job.run(true) ? 0 : -1;
    }

        System.exit(ToolRunner.run(new SimpleGiraphSumEdgeWeights(), args));
    }
}