Fellow Giraphers,

We have a our first release candidate since graduating from incubation. This is a source release, primarily due to the different versions of Hadoop we support with munge (similar to the 0.1 release). Since 0.1, we've made A TON of progress on overall performance, optimizing memory use, split vertex/edge inputs, easy interoperability with Apache Hive, and a bunch of other areas. In many ways, this is an almost totally different codebase. Thanks everyone for your hard work!

Apache Giraph has been running in production at Facebook (against Facebook's Corona implementation of Hadoop - https://github.com/facebook/hadoop-20/tree/master/src/contrib/corona) since around last December. It has proven to be very scalable, performant, and enables a bunch of new applications. Based on the drastic improvements and the use of Giraph in production, it seems appropriate to bump up our version to 1.0.

While anyone can vote, the ASF requires majority approval from the PMC -- i.e., at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively for release, and there must be more positive than negative votes. Releases may not be vetoed. Before voting +1 PMC members are required to download the signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on their own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets the requirements of the ASF policy on releases.

Please test this against many other Hadoop versions and let us know how this goes!

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Release artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~aching/giraph-1.0-RC0/

Corresponding git tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/release-1.0-RC0

Signing keys:
http://people.apache.org/keys/group/giraph.asc

The vote runs for 72 hours, until Monday 4pm PST.

Thanks everyone for your patience with this release!

Avery