In principle you could implement (and it has been) Pregel through MPI. The
idea behind Pregel was precisely to factor out typical patterns of graph
processing that used to be based on message-passing and barriers. A
framework like Pregel/Giraph hides this complexity through a well-defined
API and programming pattern, leaving the user with only the application
logics. How the rest is implemented under the hood, is another story that
the user does not have to worry about.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.marte...@gmail.com