1.) This appears to be a typo on the quick start page. Assuming you've
followed the previous steps, it should be:

su - hduser

2.) This also appears to be a typo on the quick start page; the lack of the
initial <description> tag is what's causing the error, but seeing that
there's no description, the tag in general seems unnecessary. It should be
this:

--
Kyle Orlando
Computer Engineering Major