Hi Kyle,

combiners are set by the user, as you recognized, and called automatically
by the infrastructure at different moments in the path. Combined messages
are passed transparently to the compute method (namely less messages than a
vertex would have received without a combiner).
Have a look at the PageRank examples and benchmark code.

Best,
Claudio

--
   Claudio Martella