On older versions of hadoop, you cannot set the counters to a higher
value. That was only introduced later. I had this issue on CDH3 (~1.5
years ago) and my solution was to disable all counters for the giraph
job, to make it work. If you use a more modern version of  hadoop, it
should be possible to increase the limit though.

- André