Hi
It depends on what you want to do with Giraph.
You don't necessary need to write custom PartitionerFactory. You would need to turn on PartitionBalancer but its broken. I think I have already found the bug, i will commit it soon. I you are really interested in balancing I am writing advanced PartitionBalancer with solver inside. I would appreciate if somebody would help me.

Regards,
Lukas