Thanks Matthew. I just realized in searching a bit more that the variable
has to be set in the mapred-site.xml configuration file with hadoop
0.20.203, otherwise it doesn't affect anything. I was setting it in the
command line.  I've already been setting the number of workers the way you
suggested. I'll give it a try.

Best,
Matthew