I was able to fix this problem and it was due to a memeory configturation
issue of my system. For the benifit of others who may face the same issue.
This is what I did,

I was using giraph 1.1.0- SNAPSHOT on Hadoop 2.2.0. I used default memory
configurations.
I was able to fix this issue by following the detailed given in [1] and
updating my memory configurations.

[1]http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/

Thanks,
Charith