Hi,

1) The partitions are processed in parallel based on the number of threads
you specify. The vertices within a partition are processed sequentially.
You may want to use more partitions than threads, that way if one partition
takes a particularly long time to be processed, the other threads can
continue processing the remaining partitions. If you have four machines
with 12 threads each for example, with one worker per machine, the default
number of partitions will be 4^2 = 16 partitions, whereas you actually have
48 threads available, so you'd probably want to specify the number of
partitions manually to a larger number to take advantage of parallelism.
2) Yes
3) If you are only doing single threading, there's no reason to do multiple
partitions per worker
3 (the second one)) I'm not familiar with the out-of-core functionality
4) I'm not sure

I'm basing this on the version of Giraph from this summer, not the most
recent release, but I don't think this part has changed. May want to verify
by looking at the code.

Best,
Matthew