Hi Muaz, this is a very interesting topic!

First of all, the top 2 (number of workers, heap size) are indeed the most
important.  Also, I think giraph.numComputeThreads and  probably the
netty-related
thread parameter are more important.

The following are less important:
- giraph.maxMutationsPerRequest: mutations are a feature that probably
kicks in a more limited set of applications, and usually in certain phases
of an application. I would expect this to have limited impact with respect
to the other parameters.
- giraph.useMessageSizeEncoding: this will be applicable in a limited set
of applications that depends on the type of vertex ID/values etc they use.

Also, I would exclude the following:
- giraph.VerticesToUpdateProgress: this is just used to keep stats, it's
not important for processing, i doubt it will have any perf impact.
- giraph.maxPartitionsInMemory: the out-of-core mechanism can be a bit
unreliable, and would make your study harder.
- giraph.checkpointFrequency: checkpointing may not be that common a
feature, and hasn't been properly maintained so you may have trouble using
it.

Aside from these you could consider some GC-related parameters: the type of
the GC (e.g. parallel etc), size of new generation, GC survivor ratio.

I would love to learn more about how you'll be approaching the problem and
ofcourse looking forward to the results.