Hi Dave,
Yep we can read and write to flat files stored on HDFS.
You need to use the DataFileAvroStore [0] in your gora.properties file. I
am taking an action to update the documentation on this here [1] right now
so please look there in about 20 or so minutes.

I need to say this though. AvroStore (from which DataFileAvroStore extends)
only supports write and query operations right now. We cannot get, delete
or deleteByQuery. If this is OK for your use case, then please wait on the
update to the documentation, however if this is NOT OK then you need to use
something else.

Thanks
Lewis

[0]