Hi Dan,
I am currently working on implementing GORA-267 [0] Cassandra composite
primary key support within the context of the gora-cassandra module.
I agree with you that the physical mapping you see is not easy for
unpacking and parsing within Spark. We also permit use legacy super columns
within gora-cassandra which we should emigrate from.

I'll look into the GoraCassandra codebase soon enough and provide more
detail on what you/we would need to meet your requirements.
Thanks
Lewis

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GORA-267

--