So, just to answer my own question, I used an undocumented property:

[jettyRun, jettyRunWar]*.jettyEnvXml = file('src/test/resources/jetty-env.xml')

My jetty-env.xml looks like this: https://gist.github.com/1260253

Been working pretty smoothly... we add a hook for jettyRun and
jettyStop to execute before and after the test task and additionally
start a hsqldb server as part of jettyRun. Going to investigate h2
later. ;)

Thanks,
James