Hi Rene,

I did not know about the gradle.properties files.  This indeed is just what I
was looking for.  In looking at how it is implemented however, I am confused by
the override behavior.

I'm used to values passed in at the command line to override any other
settings.  I'm told this is what you'd expect from ant as well.  This seems to
hold true for -P, but -D is ignored if the value is defined in
gradle.properties.

With this in your build.gradle file:
    println "${fruit} is ${System.getProperty('color')}

1) Execute gradle with command line overrides to get:
    >gradle -Pfruit=banana -Dcolor=yellow
    banana is yellow

Next add the following to  gradle.properties in same folder as build.gradle:
    fruit=apple
    systemProp.color=red

2) Execute gradle with command line overrides to get:
   >gradle -Pfruit=banana -Dcolor=yellow
   banana is red

Next add the following to gradle.properties in ~/.gradle:
    fruit=orange
    systemProp.color=orange

3) Execute gradle with command line overrides to get:
>gradle -Pfruit=banana -Dcolor=yellow
banana is orange

I'm using milestone-3.  Is this the expected behavior?

Thanks,
Richard.