Found some documentation on how to configure the "compileJava" task. Hope
this helps others.

Starting from:  http://www.gradle.org/java_plugin
http://www.gradle.org/java_plugin

In the table which lists all the tasks, I found the "compileJava" task and
noticed that its type is *Compile*. Following the link to the documentation
for the *Compile* type, I saw that there is an field named *options* of type
*CompileOptions*. Following the doc link for the *CompileOptions* type, I
found the fields I can set on the options member of the compileJava task.

So setting the encoding for the compileJava task looks like:

compileJava {
  options.encoding = "UTF-8"
}