What you describe here differs from what you describe on Stack Overflow. What
you describe here works fine for me and I don't get any duplicates. What you
describe on Stack Overflow is the expected behavior, not just for the IDEA
plugin but for Gradle in general. This is because conflict resolution is
currently done per configuration, not per build. When you execute `gradle
dependencies` in Module1 and Module2, you'll get the same results as for the
IDEA modules.

If both modules use Guava directly, you should specify direct dependencies,
which solves the problem. Often this is done by factoring out the dependency
declarations into a parent build script and referencing them by name from
child scripts. (This is somewhat similar to Maven's `dependencyManagement`
section.) Forcing a version for all configurations is another solution. I
expect that future versions of Gradle will support build-wide conflict
resolution.

Thanks for creating a sample project. This makes it so much easier to
reproduce a problem. By the way, the best place to ask questions is
http://forums.gradle.org.

--
Peter Niederwieser
Principal Engineer, Gradleware