Gradle isn't particularly au-fait with the maven packaging element. We have
special handling for "pom" and "jar"; otherwise we just map the "packaging"
value to the extension of the main artifact. I assume this is wrong in the
case of the 'eclipse-plugin' packaging!

Do you have any documentation on how this packaging should be properly
handled?

One solution for now might be to use a "Client Module" to declare this
dependency:
http://gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/dependency_management.html#sub:client_module_dependencies

cheers
Daz