I am responding to this old post because the archive for it was the closest
thing I found to an answer, and I'm hoping this helps someone else with the
same issue I was having!

In short, the above didn't work for me.

Here's what I added to my root gradle.build:

//BEGIN make sure that the optional ant stuff works:

        configurations { antssh }

        dependencies {
                antssh group: 'org.apache.ant', name: 'ant-jsch', version:
'1.8.2'
        }

        // add additional jars to the AntBuilder classpath for use within the
imported build.
        ClassLoader antClassLoader =
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.class.classLoader

        configurations.antssh.each { File f ->
                antClassLoader.addURL(f.toURI().toURL())
        }
//END: Make sure that the optional ant stuff work

I posted about it on my blog: http://taytay.com/?p=309

Thanks to this response by TheKaptain, I was alerted to the answer:
http://gradle.1045684.n5.nabble.com/Calling-ant-test-target-fails-with-junit-classpath-issue-newbie-td4385167.html

Cheers