Sigh, I always seem to find the answer just after sending an email saying it won't work!

Just installed libssh2-1-dev (from http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/libs/libssh2/libssh2-1-dev_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb), and libpango1.0-dev (native), and it now compiles with ssh/ssh. This is with some symbolic links in place so whether it'd work without I'm not sure at this stage.

Unfortunately I need to do some work right now but if it's useful I'll have another go with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 tomorrow, and confirm what's needed from scratch with locations for downloading required packages as needed.

FWIW this is what I obtained externally and installed to date:

https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2g.tar.gz
http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/harfbuzz/libharfbuzz-dev_1.4.2-1_amd64.deb
http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pango1.0/libpangoft2-1.0-0_1.40.5-1_amd64.deb
http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pango1.0/libpangocairo-1.0-0_1.40.5-1_amd64.deb