I use it myself to act as my gateway into my network. Instead of opening
several ports for RDP/VNC/SSH to various machines (I used non-standard
ports, so 3389 is not open), I instead have https access to guacamole on my
webserver, and then from there I can connect to whichever systems I have
enabled.

This provides me one way in to manage; I don't need multiple firewall
rules, I don't have to maintain VPN, I don't need any software on the
machine I'm connecting from: just a web browser. I also don't need
outbound firewall rules from where I'm connecting from; https is already
allowed (whereas my non-standard and even standard outbound ports at work
are blocked).

For myself, it eliminates the need for TeamViewer or other similar products.

If you're still requiring connecting to a VPN, then yes, it is not
accomplishing much for you besides ACLs and centralization.

If all you're looking for is simpler management of remote connections only
internally to your network, and maintaining VPN access, I'd recommend
Devolutions' Remote Access Management.