Just a comment on your response Alesandro,

I have a number of remote systems I administer. Users have a variety of programs they operate on M$ Winboxen at the remote end.

Various of the clients have VPN available, or they use Guacamole.

In many cases Guacamole is [much] faster as Guacamole's network traffic can be quite light in comparison to VPN. Typically those users that are handling large files find the VPN is much slower (ie. the VPN/internet represents a bottleneck), and there are other nuances that lead them to prefer Guacamole.

IMV it's also easier to ensure a more stable and secure environment, particularly when the remote users are utilising 'home' offices, with Guacamole than with a VPN.

Overall I consider it's 'horses for courses'; in some cases a VPN may be preferable for certain operations, but in many cases a solution such as Guacamole will provide a better experience.