On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 12:05 PM Weeks, Thomas <t.we...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Are Mike or Nick lurking in here?  Carl Sent me here to see if anyone else
> is seeing this (or can reproduce) this guac/RDP KB/mouse corruption issue.
>
> T.Weeks at the Cyber Range here.. We maintain several thousand VDI
> (virtual dekstop for instruction) AWS VMs.. mainly RDP sessions to
> Linux/xRDP and Win VMs.. and Guac has been really great for us.  However..
> after upgrading to guac 1.2 (earlier this year), we started seeing teachers
> and students complaining about "random keyboard" and mouse garbage &
> actions in their Linux RDP sessions (nothing on the VMs changed), or
> sometimes the KB and mouse just completely stop working (users complain of
> "VM freezing", which is not accurate).
>
> For example, a terminal (on an xRDP/sesman/X11 Linux VM desktop on AWS)
> will suddenly echo garbage when the user moves the mouse, or the cursor
> jumps around randomly open/close/maximize windows, and trying to type in a
> focused terminal session will seemingly type garbage into the terminal.
> You can't "reset" the terminal.. so this is not normal terminal state
> issues.. the raw keyboard and mouse stream within guac seems to get
> corrupted.  Here's a video of it happening to both a teacher as well as his
> student, both using guac (and sharing their screens in zoom):
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQwe8TjmMZyH6pdk9
>
> A work around seems to be to close the guac session and re-connect. The
> desktop session is usually still there and as you left it.. but
> re-connecting (or someone else connecting and bumping your session off)
> seems to re-establish normal kb/mouse session control.
>
> FYI.. We've run the same xRDP setup (with guac connecting to Linux VMs)
> for three years just fine before we started seeing this (soon after
> upgrading toe guac 1.2 iirc).
>
> I see it the most bc I work with our clients in support.. but our devs
> have not been able to reproduce it.  (if you use a session for 8 hrs/day,
> you might encounter this 1-2 times / day. But some sinstructors (with
> classes of 30-50 kids) are obviously seeing it much more often.
>
> Anyone here seen or heard of this?.. or have been able to reproduce
> (reliably)?  I didn't see anything in the guac jira issues area
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-194?jql=summary%20~%20%22RDP*%22%20OR%20description%20~%20%22RDP*%22%20ORDER%20BY%20lastViewed%20DESC>
> .

I use Guac 1.2 on a daily basis to connect to both Windows and xRDP (mainly
Windows), and I've not encountered the issue you're seeing. Can you provide
details on the platform of both the Guacamole services and your xRDP
instances? I'm running both Guacamole and xRDP on CentOS7, generally
up-to-date. Anything in system logs (Tomcat or guacd or xRDP) at the time
it occurs?