On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Ciro Iriarte <cyru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!,
>
> Anybody has success scenarios/stories/configuration of Guacamole + VNC for
> permanent sessions on Linux?.

When you say "permanent sessions," I assume that you mean the ability for a
user to log into a session, disconnect for some time, and then return and
log back in with the same session? Unfortunately this isn't really possible
with straight by itself unless you combine it with some other pieces of
software that accomplish the session management portion of that. It isn't
that you can't do it, just that you need the VNC connection to be made to a
session manager, not just to a desktop. Or you have to do your own session
management, which, with VNC, usually involves starting up a port per user
(this doesn't really scale well).

> I've tried Gnome and KDE with different combinations but there seems to
> always be a shortcoming:
>
> Session management
> Auto login needed which leaves console open/insecure
> No resize
> No clipboard support (probably too much to ask for)

I believe VNC does have clipboard support, but the ability to use it will
vary based on the VNC server in use.

> Had an easy life using Guacamole with RDP on Windows for this usecase,
> Linux+VNC seems a less happy trip...

Have you tried xrdp? It's a reasonably stable RDP server for Linux, and
allows you to use the Window Manager of your choice (Gnome, KDE - I like
XFCE) with the RDP protocol. It supports TLS encryption, and also can pass
through username and password authentication the way you see in Windows. It
can use VNC as a back-end, but also has a native Xorg driver. And, it
includes a session manager, allowing users to connect, disconnect, and then
reconnect to an existing session.

I use Guacamole with xrdp pretty routinely, and most things seem to work
just fine. File transfer occasionally causes me heartache, but that's due
to some shortcomings in xrdp and not in Guacamole RDP support.