guacamole works and is perfectly usable - are you saying this was all a
"red herring" and it was working with web sockets all the time? :) In which
case I wasted quite a few hours browsing logs! Is there an easy way to
check? If I reload in chrome devtools i see a websocket in ws but size is 0
B and it's not moving. Using the server for a few minutes requests are
increasing slowly, through the download of tiny png mouse cursor files.

Thanks again for your help!