On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 10:33 PM takuya morita <mrttky521...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, support.
> I’m Takuya.
>
> I found out that the data traffic is different between using normal RDP
> and Guacamole RDP.
> What is the structural difference between Guacamole RDP and normal RDP?
>
> We also found that normal RDP uses less traffic when watching videos, and
> Guacamole RDP uses less traffic when watching non-video clips.
> Do you think the results of this survey are correct?

First, I believe what you're asking is what the difference is between RDP
and the Guacamole Protocol. Guacamole is not an extension or implementation
of RDP, it is a completely different protocol. The job of guacd (Guacamole
Server) is to translate connections between the Guacamole protocol and one
of several supported remote access protocols, of which RDP is one.
Guacamole supports connecting to RDP servers, but the RDP connection is
only between guacd and the RDP server - the connection between the user's
browser (tunneled through the Java components, usually running on Tomcat)
and guacd is not RDP, it is Guacamole.

So, when you're comparing the traffic/bandwidth utilization of Guacamole to
RDP, it's important to distinguish where you're measuring that - is it
between the user's browser and Tomcat, between Tomcat and guacd, or between
guacd and RDP?

Others (Mike?) can probably provide more detailed analysis of why video
would produce more bandwidth via Guacamole than RDP, but keep in mind the
answer to the last question you asked - that Guacamole dynamically measures
performance of the link between the client (web browser) and guacd and
adjusts the frame rates, and even image processing algorithms, based on the
available resources. So, it is possible that Guacamole is using more
bandwidth simply because it has detected that more bandwidth is available,
and it is attempting to give the best possible experience - highest frame
rate, lowest loss to compression.