I have considered LDAP, just the scope of converting so many machines is more than a little intimidating for one person.  I do not have a staff, just me.

     I am trying to create one of two scenarios:

     1) A customer using guacamole can login to it with the same credentials he uses for servers, e-mail, x2go, vnc, etc.

     2) A customer logs in via apache and bypasses authentication at guacamole.  In this case apache logs failures, and I realize tomcat can as well but I have a jail for apache and not for tomcat and I don't do well at creating regular expressions as interpreted by fail2ban which has a lot of it's own unique matching rules. I've done it successfully before but I'm getting old and would rather not go bald.

     3) If neither of the above solutions can be made to work, then the customer goes straight into the host selection page but with the IP he is originating at, not the IP of the web server, so that failed logins are collected and repeat offending IPs blocked and really of the three this is the most convenient for the customer and the preferred one but since I don't know how to make tomcat pass through the originating IP it's problematic. If I could get this to work though it has some marketing advantage, as I could configure a virtual domain with a local non-routable IP address that the web server can talk to but that's it, and configure Ubuntu with a guest account (where nothing is saved after the session), the local address limiting the ability to get out on the net and use it for DOS attacks, etc.  I think it would be a cool marketing ploy.